First Time RegistrationTo register a vehicle for the first time you will need to complete a Registration/Title Application. Form MV82 (Vehicle Registration/Title Application) (pdf 333 kb).
You will need to bring proof of ownership, which is a title or a transferable registration in your name. A title or transferable registration that has been signed over to you is also acceptable. You will need proof of insurance in the registrant's name. You will need to complete an appropriate New York State Tax Form, obtainable at the Genesee County Motor Vehicle Office. The registrant is required to present a driver's license or 6 points of identification from form ID-82 (Proofs of Identity for Registration and Title) (pdf 167 kb). If the registrant is not the owner of the vehicle have the owner complete section (3) of the MV82 (Vehicle Registration/Title Application) (pdf 333 kb). A driver's license or 6 points of identification must be presented for both the registrant and the owner. The seller must complete and sign a portion of the New York State tax form DTF802 (Statement of Transaction - Sale or Gift) (pdf 46 kb) on a casual sale for a vehicle that has been manufactured within the past 7 years. Failure to do this will result in an audit with the New York State tax department.
Renewal of Registration
To renew your registration, complete the registration renewal reminder or complete form MV82 (Vehicle Registration/Title Application) (pdf 333 kb), the Registration/Title Application. If you have changed your name due to marriage/divorce, you will also need to bring in to the Motor Vehicle Office your original title and legal papers giving you the right to change your name. When renewals are processed in person or mailed to our Genesee County office, 12.7% of the monies collected is retained by the County. If you renew by mail through Utica, 100% of the monies goes to New York State and your processing time is approximately 4 weeks. Our office processes your renewal the same day we receive it. If you are processing by mail, please forward your registration renewal to:
Genesee County Clerk
PO Box 379
Batavia New York 14021
Use our Drop Box
Make checks payable to
Vehicles Titled Out-of-StateAcceptable Proofs of Ownership: If a vehicle is being brought into New York State without a change in ownership:
- An original out-of-state title or, if the vehicle was not required to be titled in the state where it was last registered, a transferable registration or certified copy of the registration from the out-of-state Motor Vehicles authority.
- If the title is held by an out-of-state lienholder:
- A copy of the title in the owner's name, certified by the lienholder or the out-of-state motor vehicle agency, or a Memorandum of Title **(non-negotiable) and
- The lienholder's statement identifying the owner and the vehicle's year, make and VIN. The statement must be on the lienholder's letterhead and must state that the lienholder holds the original title and is aware that the title copy will be used to register the vehicle in NYS. The letter must be unconditional (that is, the lienholder cannot ask that we notify him/her once the vehicle is registered, etc.
- If the title is held by an out-of-state leasing company:
- A certified copy of the out-of-state title (in the leasing company's name) and
- A letter from the owner stating that the owner is aware that the copy of the title will be used to register the vehicle in NYS.
**A New York State title will not be issued in this case.You will be given a non-transferable New York State Registration Receipt and sticker. We will not issue you a transferable registration (for 1972 and older model year vehicles) or a New York State Certificate of Title (for most 1973 and new vehicles) until the out-of-state title is submitted to New York State.
When you get the actual title from the lienholder forward it to the DMV Title Bureau so they can issue a New York State Title to you.
NYS DMV-Title Bureau
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany New York 12228